Before you gather your stuff, gather your thoughts. Plan ahead, instead of at the last minute. And be prepared for anything. With this checklist, you can stay organized during your move and save yourself some headaches along the way. While we have all the moving and packing supplies you’ll ever need, we’re all out of aspirin.
Four to Six Weeks Before Move
Places to Notify:
- Notify the post office that you are moving. An online Change of Address form is available on the United States Postal Service Web site.
- Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move. The following checklist will be helpful:
- Sewer District
- Fuel (Oil/Propane)
- Sewer District
- Dry Cleaner
- Lawn Service
- Bank/Finance Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Laundry Service
- Auto Finance Company
- Health Club
- Insurance Agency
- Professional Journals
One Month Before Move
- If necessary, give your landlord notice.
- Contact Telephone Company to set up reconnection/installation.
- Inform gas and electric providers that you will be the new property owner.
- Start collecting packing materials.
- Tell work you’ll need time off.
- Start sorting your stuff into three piles: “Keep” “Toss” “Store”.
Two Weeks Until Move
- Book moving company, rental truck or free pickup.
- If necessary, arrange moving transit insurance.
- Inform people of your change of address.
- Arrange for post office to forward your mail.
- Ask someone to look after any kids and/or pets.
- Start packing things you won’t need until after your move.
- Cancel any monthly household services, e.g. newspaper delivery.
One Week Until Move
- Arrange for final bills to be paid.
- Have meters read and pay any outstanding amount.
- Confirm arrangements with utility companies.
- Arrange the exchange of keys. Collect yours as soon as possible.
- Collect old blankets to put down in new house to protect floors and carpets.
- Make map of new property for the moving company.
- Start cleaning rooms in your new house or hire someone local to do it for you.
- Decide what each room in the new home will be used for.
- Consider storage options should you need them.
One Day Until Move
- Seal and label all boxes.
- When possible, move items toward location of moving truck, like the garage.
- Pack a container for emergency supplies like snacks, disposable cups, paper towels, toilet paper, Tylenol, etc.
- Defrost fridge/freezer.
- Finish cleaning the house or apartment.
Day of Move
- Disconnect any remaining appliances.
- Close and lock doors and windows.
- Turn off all lights.
- Account for all items at new location.
on your safe arrival to your new home!
Why Choose Us?
- Climate Controlled and Non-Climate Controlled Units
- Free Truck Rental with Move-In
- Video Surveillance Monitoring
- 24 Hour Access Available (Restrictions Apply)
- On-Site Manager
- Personal Storage, Commercial Storage, Vehicle Storage